Skip to main content

How do I check if a work pass is valid (e.g. for renting to a foreign tenant)?

If you wish to rent a room to a foreigner, you must exercise due diligence to ensure that the prospective tenant is in Singapore legitimately.

If the foreigner is holding a card that is issued by MOM (eg. Work Permit, Employment Pass, S Pass), inspect the original card by doing the following:

  • Check that the photo matches the pass holder.
  • Inspect the two holographic lenses - one should reflect the pass holder's image; the other when tilted at an angle should show the:
    • FIN number (for Employment Pass holders) 
    • Work Pass number (for Work Permit and S Pass holders)
  • Check that the pass card matches the design of the MOM issued passes.
  • Check that the details on the card matches the tenant’s original passport.

Check the validity of Work Pass or Long-Term Pass

For new cards with a QR code, you can use the SGWorkPass app on your mobile phone to scan the QR code for pass expiry date and other details.

Alternatively, you can use the following eServices to check the pass status:

Pass Type eServices to check pass status
All Passes Check Work Pass Status
All Work Permit holders Work Permit Online (WP Online)
Use function:
  • "Enquire" -> "Foreign Worker Details"
  • "Enquire" -> "Work Permit Validity/Application Status"
Foreign Domestic Worker Work permit transactions for domestic helpers and confinement nannies 
S Pass, Employment Pass and their related Dependant’s Pass or Long Term Visit Pass holders Employment Pass Online (EP Online)
Use function:
  • "Enquire" -> "Application/Pass Status"
  • "Enquire" -> "Employment & Related Pass Validity"

You can also use the MOM interactive voice response system.