If you wish to rent a room to a foreigner, you must exercise due diligence to ensure that the prospective tenant is in Singapore legitimately.
If the foreigner is holding a card that is issued by MOM (eg. Work Permit, Employment Pass, S Pass), inspect the original card by doing the following:
- Check that the photo matches the pass holder.
- Inspect the two holographic lenses - one should reflect the pass holder's image; the other when tilted at an angle should show the:
- FIN number (for Employment Pass holders)
- Work Pass number (for Work Permit and S Pass holders)
- Check that the pass card matches the design of the MOM issued passes.
- Check that the details on the card matches the tenant’s original passport.
Check the validity of Work Pass or Long-Term Pass
For new cards with a QR code, you can use the SGWorkPass app on your mobile phone to scan the QR code for pass expiry date and other details.
Alternatively, you can use the following eServices to check the pass status:
You can also use the MOM interactive voice response system.