With the amendment under WICA, effective June 2012, employees injured in work-related fights will still be eligible for compensation, provided these injuries were sustained in any of the the following scenarios:
- In the act of self-defence.
- While defending another individual.
- While acting under the employer or principal’s instructions or consent to:
- Break up the fight
- Safeguard lives or property
- Maintain law and order
- As a result of an assault to which he did not retaliate.
Only employees who deliberately participate in fights at the workplace, whether due to a dispute over work-related matters or not, and sustain injuries in the process are not eligible for work injury compensation.