The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) has been reaching out to foreign workers (FWs) and educating them on their employment rights and responsibilities, as well as social norms in Singapore through roadshows, newsletters and posters.
As a large number of FWs have smartphones, developing a mobile app strategy will provide us with a more direct channel to engage and disseminate important and up-to-date information to workers.
Who should apply
We are looking to collaborate with partners who have existing mobile apps serving foreign workers or who wish to develop a mobile app for this community.
Partnership with MOM will be through a Memorandum of Understanding.
To be eligible, you need to meet these criteria:
- Are legally registered or incorporated in Singapore. This includes societies and non-profit organisations such as charities and voluntary welfare organisations.
- Are not a public sector organisation, such as Ministry, statutory board, organ of state, Government and Government-aided school.
Benefits to partners
We see this app as the go-to mobile app for foreign workers, providing both MOM and private sector-related retail services or products.
As a partner for this app, you will get:
- An attractive launch-pad among foreign workers with MOM-related content.
- Help with publicity to market the app. This will enable your advertisers and retailers to reach the target catchment.
What MOM will provide
MOM will provide the following for the app:
- Content on foreign workers’ employment rights and responsibilities as well as messages on social norms.
- Resource materials, such as publications and educational videos for foreign workers.
- Publicity platforms for you to promote the mobile application to foreign workers.
- Findings from a survey with foreign workers.
The content will be in English and in key native languages used by workers. These include:
To help you develop the app, we will also share valuable findings from an in-depth study conducted with foreign workers on their experiences working and living in Singapore. This includes their feedback on a mobile app prototype, from which you can glean design principles and preferences.
Requirements for the app
The appointed partner or partners will provide a mobile app that serves the foreign worker community, and publish MOM’s content in the application.
The app should:
- Be in the native language of the foreign workers.
- Include a feedback module so they can provide feedback to improve the app or to report employment-related issues.
You will be responsible for:
- Operating, maintaining and marketing the app to foreign workers.
- Updating MOM’s content in the app as and when required.
- Forwarding all employment-related feedback to MOM and providing English translations if the feedback is submitted in the native languages.
Funding and pricing
All funding necessary for the mobile application will be borne by the partner.
To achieve the objective of reaching out to foreign workers, access to MOM-provided content on the app should be free of charge.
The app may incorporate other MOM mobile apps, website links and non-MOM modules or services, so long as they are legal activities and do not contain objectionable content. These modules and services can be chargeable.
How to apply
To apply, you need to submit a proposal with the required documents listed below. MOM will assess each application and inform you of the outcome.
Prepare the documents required
Include the following documents for submission with your application:
- Latest ACRA Search or Instant Information (within the last 6 months) of your company and your corporate shareholders, if applicable.
- Company background (years of establishment, number of employees and core business activities)
- Project proposal:
- Project scope and deliverables - features of the app, functions in the app, support team, partners (if any).
- Marketing plan to raise awareness of the app and sustain the app.
- Qualitative and quantitative outcomes expected from the project.
- Implementation plan.
Should you require any additional data or information from MOM for developing, managing or marketing the app, please indicate this in your proposal and state the reasons for use of the data or information.
Submit the application
Send your application with the required documents to email@example.com.
We will contact you when we receive your application.
- A meeting may be arranged to better understand your company and the project.
- You may be required to provide further information if the application is incomplete.
MOM will assess your application based on its merits. You will be notified if your application is successful.
If successful, you are required to sign a Memorandum of Understanding with MOM to formalise the partnership and to indicate acceptance of the Terms and Conditions of the partnership.